Wednesday, July 23, 2008

cacophony in california

Taken in New York in September 2006 from the Empire State Building. I wish the picture was a better quality, but I took it on film and the scanning was not very good. My apologies since the view itself was spectacular. (Click on the picture for the details)

[8:08 a.m.]

Today is overcast and to my surprise, even a bit chilly. I rolled over to lab to continue staring at cells when I just want[ed] to stay in bed and finish reading my book.

The story has made me think of the upper class more than I'd like to, and I'm reminded of just how much I despise them. We're not talking the offensively rich celebrities and billionaires, but even just the rich and supposedly well educated. The aristocracy and hypocrisy of it all. I was trapped into brunch with a couple I'm not particularly fond of and someone else a couple Sundays ago. There was a mix-up with some fruit order that the place had forgotten about and after the waiter very nicely apologized and left to sort it out, these snobs proceeded to call the man useless for the slip up, commenting that fact is evident by his being a waiter in the first place and not something greater. And you call yourselves graduate students of higher education, wanting to do something for the world?

I admit I've been somewhat of a structural elitist, but I don't take it seriously. I believe hard work is hard work, regardless of where you do it, and that in itself is commendable. The surge of disgust I felt at that moment was so overwhelming I just wanted to leave. I have no respect for the sort and think it's sad that people think their bank accounts and Ivy League degrees are all it takes to make them good people.

No comments: