Monday, February 23, 2009

dear dad

The Hope Diamond at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., Sept. 2006.

Dear Dad,

You are such an amazing person. As I listened to you talk tonight, I watched the gleam in your eyes and thought of that same gleam behind the camcorder at every award ceremony, front row and always my biggest fan. I watched your animated hands and thought of those same hands gripping our first real tea cup as you sipped coffee Saturday mornings, staring out of the apartment window. You were always hopeful, even when unemployed and hurting. You were always willing, even when tired and torn down. I hope you know how much I never want to let you down, how much I always want you to see your dreams in me because past wrinkling skin and falling hair, aging eyes and time passing by, I always see my hero in you and am still your biggest fan.


With love and happy birthday.

1 comment:

sandylion said...

You wrote pretty much everything I've ever truly wanted to say to my dad in perfect mandarin, but you said it better than I could ever put words to.
- sandy (ubiquit0us)

ps. keep writing and we'll keep reading :)