Saturday, April 11, 2009

sailing

Taken in Ha Noi outside a temple where we had some really greasy food. I also met two very bougy women. When the day is this foggy, you generally should not wear sunglasses at lunch. The scene would've been funnier if I had someone to laugh with.

"But at a certain point the memory of her stopped accompanying me wherever I went. She stayed behind, the way a city stays behind as a train pulls out of the station. It's there, somewhere behind you, and you could go back and make sure of it. But why should you?" -- Bernard Schlink, The Reader

I know books shouldn't be italicized but underlining always feels so heavy. I'm currently reading that book and while he doesn't have the same poetry as Richard Yates, his words are very precise despite their simplicity. In reading of the affair, you feel the urgency and helplessness. The narrator says he holds onto mental pictures - her putting on her stockings, her holding the towel, her standing in the study, always her - that he pulls out from time to time and plays on a projector. It's the idea that some moments are sacred, are timeless, that they keep you warmer than all the sun's rays and that I think is beautiful.

1 comment:

Suniye said...

I always thought that books can be underlined or italicized! Oh no...all those papers at UCLA...