Tuesday, April 14, 2009

rinse, repeat

Taken at a tourist park in Madagui, Vietnam this past March.

Last Tuesday, I went to lunch at the Barn (an eatery at UCR) with Gerardo and Amy from lab. I ordered the special and well, got food poisoning. It was pleasant. Then just yesterday, I went again to the Barn, this time with Kevin, Everlinda and Jonathan. The Commons had a flood over the weekend, leaving us with only the Barn to eat at unless we wanted to go off campus. On our way there, Jonathan asked why I would go back there after last Tuesday and I responded with the first thing that came to mind: I'm not really smart in that way.

And well, I'm not. With just food alone, I've gotten sick countless times after eating buffalo wings. My stomach does not like greasy foods very much and while I may avoid getting the buffalo wings at a particular place *ahem, UCLA dining halls* I would still get them somewhere else because well, I like them. A lot. I thought about this habit, wondering if I've somehow survived against the natural selection plan. After all, doing the same thing and expecting different results is the clinical definition of insanity, but I realized I'm not really doing the same thing. I learn to fix the details, but I still cling to the goal. In matters of love, I've gotten my heart broken several times over, but I still go looking for it. I just go about it a little differently each time. Maybe there's something to be said for persistence against all the possible hurts and failures, past previous disappointments. After all, why always opt for something new when there's the option of fixing what you've got?

1 comment:

Suniye said...

Wise words.
At least you're training your stomach to be a stomach of steel though, eh? :)