Sunday, December 14, 2008

through the looking glass

This photo has no particular significance; I just thought the ceiling was cool. Taken in October 2007 at the airport in Atlanta, Georgia.

I went to the optometrist today to buy some new frames, and I got an eye exam for free. Turns out, according to said optometrist, I have gone up .5 to 2.75 in the past year. That's an awful big jump in a year. That's also a lot closer to 3.00, which stands as the gateway between bad vision and just plain crappy vision. I became furious because I'd been at 2.25 for so long and the idea of deteriorating eyesight completely overwhelms me. I remember first realizing during my sophomore year of high school that I could no longer see the board from where I sat. I saw where the scribbles lay but as to what they were, I just had no clue and this made me indescribably angry. I almost cried when I couldn't repeat the small letters on the eye chart. Perhaps this is an extreme reaction, but having to rely on something to get by makes me feel utterly useless. I am not accepting this exam without a fight and am getting a second opinion this week. Maybe I can then learn how to improve my vision and win this battle, despite having lost the war.

No comments: