Friday, April 9, 2010

tenon's space

Taken by Chris today from UCLA without me :( I changed the colors. In the background is Powell Library.

Today marks day 5 or so of cloudy skies. It rained last night and today so the hallways permeate with the earthy after-the-rain smell. Walking up to my place today, I thought of third grade at Myer's Elementary School where the hallways would permeate with after-the-rain earthworms, lying haplessly on the ground as girlish giggles led boyish tennis shoes, their soles lighting up as they ran. I thought of Mrs. Taylor's big multiplication chart and the race to see who would memorize it all first. Diane was my competition, a raven-haired girl with a pretty face who was all smiles on the outside and pure evil on the inside. It's like girls come out of the womb crafty, but I digress.

I think I have such a soft spot for rain because I associate it with most of my childhood. Rainy days forced you back inside and I remember sitting by the window sill watching the water wash over the street and the pitiful tree outside my room. I remember dreaming of some man being so fascinated by me like Darcy by Elizabeth. I remember dreaming of being a doctor. Traveling. Learning how to play the piano. Moving out and being on my own. Being on 'Jeopardy'. The Nobel Prize. It didn't matter what had happened that day or who said what because I was going to go places. I have a soft spot for rainy days because it takes you back inside to a place where things can still happen because you believe they can. I think I've since forgotten how to get there and I wish there were more rainy days to help lead me back.

No comments: